B. Wilkinson, Ground Floor Flat, 8 West Avenue Road, Walthamstow, E17 9SE, Great Britain
bjw[at]cix.co.uk fax: 0181-925-7126
Swedish science fiction lost one of its pillars December 23rd, when Kjell Borgstrom died at the age of 68. He had been ill for about three years after a stroke, but had appeared at the Christmas meeting of the Scandinavian SF Association in Stockholm on December 13th. Kjell was best known as a science fiction poet, publishing two poetry collections, Den suckande tungan (1969) and En slags parallell (1997 – published by the Scandinavian SF Association. Hundreds of his poems were published in fanzines, more remain unpublished. Only the fact that sf poetry is a very narrow genre prevented Kjell from getting wider recognition. A bank clerk in his civilian life, he became active in the Scandinavian SF Association in 1964 and soon became one of the most prominent members. His sense of humour became evident in his meeting reports in clubzines, and at the cons and meetings he attended at home and abroad. He became an active fanzine publisher, especially in the 70's, with publications like Det lutande larktradet and SF-Syntes. He was also active in the Stockholm Tolkien Society, known as Smaug, the dragon. He was a great inspiration for the sf movement in both Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia. Kjell Borgstrom was one of a kind: always friendly to neofans (including yours truly), creative, humourous, mild-mannered, beloved by everyone who knew him. His next of kin is his brother Mats, his niece Suzanne Alm-Borgstrom and her three daughters. (Ahrvid Engholm, January 1998 (edited))
The most recent edition of BEM contains an essay on SF in Mexico. The situation appears to be waking up after some very quiet years. Numbers of fanzines/small press magazines exist, and besides a Spanish edition on Asimov's, there is also a locally editied magazine called Umbrales, which has introduced numbers of Mexican authors. Novels also exist, although many are pale imitations of US Cyberpunk. The article is by G.B. Lozano. Also in this edition are details of a collection of Catalan SF, and an Argentinian electronic journal: Axxon – http://www.giga.com.ar/axxon/axxon.html. BEM's web page can be found at: http://www.filnet.es/bemmag or BEM, Apartado 6092, 47080 Valladolid, Spain.
Early next month I am going into hospital (if they don't cancel me again) for an operation. I doubt if I'll be able to get the March issue done in these circumstances.
* = new or amended
* Decadence: 6-8 February, Eastbourne, UK. Filk. Att. 28UKP. Contact: Decadence, 43 Millbrook Gardens, Cheltenham, GL50 3RQ, UK. (email: decadence[at]z9m9z.demon.co.uk; http://www.z9m9z.demon.co.uk)
* Multiverse 3: 13-15 February, Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia. GoH Claudia Christian, Robert Llewelyn. Contact: P.O. Box 355 World Trade Centre Melbourne, Victoria 3005 Australia. http://www.vicnet.net.au/~multivrs multivrs[at]vicnet.net.au
KRAKON: 12-14 February, Krakow, Poland. RPG + SF. Con in school building, attendees sleep in classrooms. Att. 35 zl. Contact:Stanislaw Strelnik (tel. +48 (12) 267-01-14 (after 10pm); email: strelnik[at]student.uci.agh.edu.pl)
Gallifrey convention: 13-15 February, Van Nuys, California, USA. SF media. Contact: Gallifrey Conventions, PO Box 3021, N. Hollywood, CA 91609, USA. (tel. +1-818-752-3756; email: GallyOne[at]aol.com)
Picocon 15: 28th February, London, UK. Book stalls, films, events, fantasy themed speakers and art. Student union bar downstairs. Contact: ICSF, Imperial College Union, Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2BB, UK. (email: c.abbott[at]doc.ic.ac.uk)
* 10th SF-Days North Rhine-Westphalia: 21-22 March, Dortmund, Germany. GoH: Alan Dean Foster, Mark Brandis, Brian Stableford, Johannes von Buttlar, Christian Bruhn. Att. 55DM 'til 15/3/98, 60DM at con. Contact: Contact: Beluga Post (Chair), Frankfurter Weg 18, D-59439 Holzwickede, Germany. (tel: +49-2301-5785; fax: +49-2301-5743; email: SFTageNRW[at]cbg.de; http://www.cbg.de/sf-tage-nrw). UK agent Mike Cheater, see Eurocon 1999 below.
SFerakon 97: national con, ? April, Zagreb, Croatia. Theme: Communication. Att. 20$. GoH: Guy Gavriel Kay. Contact: Igor Mrkoci, Brace Cvijica 21, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia. (or email: Vlatko Juric-Kokic <vkokic[at]r101.com.hr>)
Intuition: 10-13 April, Manchester, UK. Att. 35 UKP. Contact: 1 Waverley Way, Carshalton Beeches, Surrey, SM5 3LQ, UK. (email: intuition[at]smof.demon.co.uk; http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk~abc/intuition)
Cosmocon: 11-12 April, Limerick, Eire. SF media. Contact: Anny Wise, 56 Tullyarraga Court, Shannon, Co. Clare, Ireland. (tel. 061-472812; email: anny.wise[at]iol.ie)
Galaxiales'98 French national con: 16-19 April, Nancy, France. Att. 250FF. Contact: Galaxiales'98, BP 3687, 54 097 NANCY Cedex, France. (tel. +33-03 83 40 64 40, Fax +33-03 83 28 80 51)
* Swancon 23: 24th-27th April, Perth, Australia. GoH: Lois McMaster Bujold, Tess Williams, Gina Goddard. Contact: Swancon, GPO Box 429 Perth WA 6841, Australia. http://www.gu.uwa.edu.au/swancon E-mail: swancon23[at]ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Travelling Convention: 30 April – 3 May, Elblag, Poland. Includes visits to Frombork & Malbork. Att. 40 zl. Contact: Piotr Cholewa, U. Szapirowa 1/24, 40-762 Katowice, Poland. (email: pcholewa[at]usctoux1.cto.us.edu.pl)
Interpresscon: 1st weekend May, Razliv nr. St Petersburg, Russia. Att. from 150 USD (inc. full board, twin share). Contact: Interpresscon, PO Box 358, 196158 St.Petersburg, Russia (email: kir[at]pleshkov.spb.su)
* Lituanicon 98: 14-17 May, Vilnius, Lithuania. Att. Free 'til 1 April, then $2. Contact: Gediminas Beresnevicius, PO Box 216, 2040 Vilnius, Lithuania. fax: +370 2 766578, email: Gytis Eiglis at dragonkiller[at]rocketmail.com; http://www.kf.vu.lt/dorado/eng
KONTUR: 14-18 May, Bialystok, Poland. LARP + SF. Att. 30 zl. Contact: Kontur, Podlaskie Towartzystwo Milosnikow Fantastyki, ul. Piastowska 11a, 15-207, Bialystok, Poland.
* TauCetiCon IV: 15-17 May, Sassari, Sardinia, Italy. Languages: Italian, English, German. Contact: Kai S. Paulus, via Pietro Canalis 4, I-07100 Sassari, Italy. (tel. +39-79-270657; email: nuvoli[at]mbox.vol.it (Gianfranco Nuvoli))
* Construction: (NZ NatCon) 30 May-1 June, Wellington, New Zealand. GoH Neil Gaiman. Contact: Construction, P.O. Box 11559, Manners St, Wellington, New Zealand
* Thylacon 2 (Australian NatCon), 5-8 June, Hobart, Australia, GoH Leanne Frahm. Contact: Thylacon 2, PO Box 55, Battery Point, TAS 7004, Australia. http://www.trump.net.au/~s_newman/thylacon2/
* Confuse 98: 26-28 June, Linkoping, Sweden. GoH Paul McAuley, Jane Routley, Niklas Krog. Contact: http://www.lysator.liu.se/confuse; unicorn[at]lysator.liu.se
Intercontact'98: 3-5 July, Oslo, Norway. International convention. GoH Gwyneth Jones, Pat Cadigan, Johannes Berg. Att. 15 UKP (Scandinavians NOK 200) 'til 31 May 1998. Contact: InterContact 98, PO Box 121 Blindern, 0313 Oslo, Norway. (email: elf[at]origo.no)
INFINITY: 10-12 July, Cardiff, UK. SF/Media Con. Att. 40UKP, Child 20 UKP. GOH: Diane Duaine, Peter Morwood, Jack Cohen, Lionel Fanthorpe, Danny Flynn, Andy Swayer, Colin Baker, Ed Bishop, David Banks, MJ Simo Simpson, Animation Company Siriol Productions (SuperTed) and the Cardiff Astronomical Society. Contact: (SSAE) Swn y Nant, 12 Stuart Street, Treherbert, Treorchy, Wales, UK, CF42 5PR. (email InfinitySciFiCon[at]hotmail.com, WWW – http://www.cf.ac.uk/ccin/main/ents/sffc/infinity.html)
Bucconeer: 5-9 August, Baltimore, MD, USA. Worldcon. Contact: PO Box 314, Annapolis Junction, MD, 20701, USA. Att. $130 'til 15/6/1998. (email: bucconeer[at]bucconeer.worldcon.org http://www.bucconeer.worldcon.org)
Dragoncon: 3-6 September, Atlanta, USA. Contact: Dragon*Con, PO Box 47696, Atlanta, GA 30362-0696, USA. (http://www.dragoncon.org)
Fantasycon: 11-13 September, Birmingham, UK. Contact: Fantasycon, 46 Oxford Road, Acocks Green, Birmingham B27 6DT, UK.
Polcon: Polish National Con: 10-13 September, Bialystok, Poland. Contact: Polcon'98, Podlaskie Towartzystwo Milosnikow Fantastyki, ul. Piastowska 11a, 15-207, Bialystok, Poland.
Bachanalia: 18-20 September, Zielona Gora, Poland. SF & wine festival. Contact: Piotr Cholewa, U. Szapirowa 1/24, 40-762 Katowice, Poland. (email: pcholewa[at]usctoux1.cto.us.edu.pl)
Albacon 98: 25-28 September, Glasgow, Scotland. Contact: Albacon 98, Flat 1/2 10 Atlas Road, Springburn, Glasgow G21 4TE, Scotland. (email albacon[at]dial.pipex.com)
HispaCon 98: 9-11 October, Burjassot, Spain. Contact: HispaCon 98, Casa Municipal de Cultura, c/Mariana Pineda, 93-95, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain. (tel. (6) 364.22.06; Fax: (6) 390.13.59; WEB: http://www.burjassot.com; email: burjassot[at]ctv.es or gandiva[at]apdo.com)
KONKRET: October (2nd or 3rd weekend), Warsaw, Poland. Star Wars boot camp LARP con, + SF. Contact: Piotr Cholewa, U. Szapirowa 1/24, 40-762 Katowice, Poland. (email: pcholewa[at]usctoux1.cto.us.edu.pl)
'BOZ'-CON: 20-22 November, Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands. Att: Dfl 65, pay Eurocheque 'NLSF-Conventions'. Contact: AnneMarie van Ewyck, Obrechtstraat 4, 2517 VD Den Hag, The Netherlands.
Dracon: Nov/Dec, Brno, Czech Republic. Contact: Dracon, PO Box 36, 612 00 Brno, Czech Republic (http://WWW.FI.MUNI.CZ/~ZRUSTEK/DRACON.HTML)
Nordcon: 4-6 December, Gdansk, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073).
There will be no Eurocon in 1998.
* Trinity – Eurocon 1999: 22nd-24th May, Dortmund, Germany. Att. 99DM or 31 UKP 'til 3/12/1998, then 34 UKP. Multilingual (inc. English) programme. Contact: Beluga Post (Chair), Frankfurter Weg 18, D-59439 Holzwickede, Germany. (tel. +49-2301-5785; fax +49-2301-5743; email: TRINITY[at]cbg.de; http://www.cbg.de/sf-tage-nrw). UK agent: Mike Cheater, 42 Elm Grove, Southsea, Hants., PO5 1JG, UK. Cheques payable: 'German Conventions'. (Tel +44 (0)1705 361350, email: mike[at]frasers.demon.co.uk)
* Finncon: 14-15 August, Turku, Finland. GoH Connie Willis. Contact: http://www.utu.fi/tsfs/finncon
* Aussiecon III: 2-6 September, Melbourne, Australia. Worldcon. Contact: Aussiecon 3, GPO Box 1212K, Melbourne, 3001. Australia. (email: julian[at]aussiecon3.worldcon.org; http://www.maths.uts.edu.au/staff/eric/ain99)
Millenium: 27 December-2 January 2000, N Europe. Contact: Malcolm Reid, 186 Casewick Road, W.Norwood, London, SE27 0SZ, UK. (email: vdputte[at]simplex.nl)
Bid from Turku, Finland for 1999 Baltcon.
Bid for 2000 UK Eastercon, 2Kon, Glasgow, UK: Contact: A^3 (Andrew A Adams), Chair, 2Kon, 15 Kersland Street, Glasgow G12 8BW, UK. (e-mail: 2kon[at]dcs.st-and.ac.uk, http://www-theory.cs.st-and.ac.uk/2Kon)
Eurocon 2000: Gdynia, Poland. Att. 10 UKP. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073).
* Chicon 2000 (Worldcon): 31 August-4 September, Chicago IL, USA. Chicon 2000, PO Box 642057, Chicago IL 60664, USA. (fax:+1-312-946-3779; http://www.chicon.org)
Hogmanaycon: 29 Dec 2000 – 1 Jan 2001, Scotland. Contact: Hogmanaycon, c/o 26 Avonbank Road, Rutherglen, Glasgow G73 2PA, Scotland. (email: john[at]gelsalba.demon.co.uk)
Both Canada (Torcon III – email: info[at]torcon3.on.ca http://www.worldhouse.com/worldcon-2003) and Germany (Berlin – http://ourworld.compuserve.com/EDMarwitz/internat.htm) are currently bidding for the 2003 Worldcon.
Fans Across the World Many thanks for information and help etc. to: Ahrvid Engholm, Dave Langford, Marc Ortlieb, Beluga Post, Joan Manel Ortiz, John Ewing, Kirill Pleshkov, SFF, Vincent Clarke, Thomas Recktenwald, Gediminas Beresnevicius, BEM, and many others. Sorry if I've forgotten your name... Please send any new information, bribes, corrections, etc., to the address over. Arthur C Clarke Award Nominations: Stephen Baxter: Titan; Liz Hand: Glimmering; James Lovegrove: Days; Jeff Noon: Nymphomation; M.D. Russell: The Sparrow; Sheri Tepper: The Family Tree.