B. Wilkinson, Ground Floor Flat, 8 West Avenue Road, Walthamstow, E17 9SE, Great Britain
bjw[at]cix.co.uk fax: 0181-925-7126
Eduardo Gallego and Guillem Sanchez won the Juli Verne Award (Andorra's main award for SF in catalan) for the novel "Vaixells a la nit" (Ships in the night), with ESP.600.000 (about GBP.2400) and publication, and the Alberto Magno Award (from the University of the Basque Country), for "Me parecio ver un lindo gatito" (I Thought I Saw a Pussy Cat (sic.) – as in the Warner Brothers 'toon) prize ESP.500.000 pts, approx GBP.2000.
Ignotus Prizes 1997: The Asociacion Espanola de Fantasia y Ciencia Ficcion, AEFCF, votes annually for these awards. Prizes are awarded by the Spanish semi-prozine BEM. Best Novel: Tierra de nadie: Jormungand, by Rodolfo Martinez (Ediciones B); Best Short Novel: Un jinete solitario, by Rodolfo Martinez (in BEM 53); Best Story: El bosque de hielo, by Juan Miguel Aguilera (in BEM 50); Best Book of Essays: Ciencia ficcion: enciclopedia ilustrada, by John Clute (Ediciones B); Best Article: El sueno de Darwin...: ciencia ficcion y evolucion, by Eduardo Gallego and Javier Redal (in BEM 52) Best Illustration: Portada Tierra de nadie: Jormungand, TRAZO (Ediciones B). Best Audiovisual Production: Iberia Inc. 1, by Rafael Marin, Carlos Pacheco & Rafa Fonteriz (Planeta – de Agostini); Best Journal: BEM (edita: Interface Grupo Editor); Best Foreign Novel: Marte rojo, de Kim Stanley Robinson (Minotauro); Best Foreign Story: Incluso la reina, by Connie Willis (in BEM 49).
UPC (Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya) Prize: 1st prize (1,000,000 pesetas): 'Psychospace' by Robert J. Sawyer (Ontario, Canadá) & 'Soulsaver' by James Stevens-Arce (San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA). Numbers of honourable mentions were made as well – mostly from Spain. More info from: bemjmo[at]filnet.es From Joan Manel Ortiz. (Translated by me- ed. sorry, I've lost track of my Spanish dictionarry, and while 'Darwin's Luck – science fiction and evolution' is dead easy, I'd need a little help with the others. I'll leave the John Clute to you...)
Some places do it differently from us... This lot I've gently edited from a batch given to me by Piotr Cholewa (addresses etc. can be found in the main listing). '... some details are tentative only': ... '12-14 February, Krakow. KRAKON. RPG mainly. Con traditionally takes place in the school building, with attendees sleeping in the classrooms. Quite rich non-gaming program... 30 April – 3 May. Elblag. The First Travelling Convention. Program includes visits to such famous towns as Frombork (Copernicus lived here) and Malbork (the castle of the Teutonic Knights)... 14-18 May, Bialystok. KONTUR. RPG-oriented, some standard SF program plus an outdoor game (sort of themed LARP (Live Action Role Playing))... 10-13 September, Bialystok. POLCON. Polish National Convention... 18-20 September, Zielona Gora. Bachanalia. Some SF based program, most time is spent strolling around the wine festival in the city streets...
October (2nd or 3rd weekend), Warsaw. KONKRET. Imperial Military Academy. Star Wars oriented program themed on cadets learning how to fight the Rebel Alliance....
4-6 December, Gdansk (Jastrzebia Gora). NORDCON...'
Most of the apparently RPG cons will have written SF content, and of these here Krakon, Kontur, Polcon, Bachanalia, Konkret and Nordcon will have some element of live action role playing. That's just the way things are.
The badges at last year's Bachanalia were made from dead floppy disks, while those from a Nordcon several years ago were military tags. Nonetheless, both Bachanalia and Nordcon support small dealers' rooms, and Nordcon supports an art show. There again, the LARP may overflow into the serious panels, as 'Military Police' grab attendees apparently at random.
One thing about the spartan premises – provided you clear up afterwards, nobody is *ever* going to know how big, noisy, obscene, your room party was...
* = New or Amended
* Decadence: 6-8 February, Eastbourne, UK. Filk. Att. 28UKP. Contact: Decadence, 43 Millbrook Gardens, Cheltenham, GL50 3RQ Top Flat, 11 Evesham Road, Cheltenham, GL52 2AA, UK. (email: decadence[at]z9m9z.demon.co.uk; http://www.z9m9z.demon.co.uk)
* KRAKON: 12-14 February, Krakow, Poland. RPG + SF. Con in school building, attendees sleep in classrooms. Att. 35 zl. Contact:Stanislaw Strelnik (tel. +48 (12) 267-01-14 (after 10pm); email: strelnik[at]student.uci.agh.edu.pl)
* Gallifrey convention: 13-15 February, Van Nuys, California, USA. SF media. Contact: Gallifrey Conventions, PO Box 3021, N. Hollywood, CA 91609, USA. (tel. +1-818-752-3756; email: GallyOne[at]aol.com)
Picocon 15: 28th February, London, UK. Book stalls, films, events, fantasy themed speakers and art. Student union bar downstairs. Contact: ICSF, Imperial College Union, Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2BB, UK. (email: c.abbott[at]doc.ic.ac.uk)
* 10th SF-Days North Rhine-Westphalia: 21-22 March, Dortmund, Germany. GoH: Alan Dean Foster, Mark Brandis. Att. 45DM 'til 15/3/98, 55DM at con. Contact: Torsten M. Frantz, Ruthstrasse 8/28, D-44149 Dortmund, Germany. (Ulrich Krause: tel. 0049/231/40 06 64, email: UlrichKrause[at]T-online.de; Fax: +49-2301-5743, http://www.cbg.de/sf-tage-nrw). UK agent Mike Cheater, see Eurocon 1999 below.
* SFerakon 97: national con, ? April, Zagreb, Croatia. Theme: Communication. Att. 20$. GoH: Guy Gavriel Kay. Contact: Igor Mrkoci, Brace Cvijica 21, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia. (or email: Vlatko Juric-Kokic <vkokic[at]r101.com.hr>)
* Intuition: 10-13 April, Manchester, UK. Att. 35 UKP. Contact: 1 Waverley Way, Carshalton Beeches, Surrey, SM5 3LQ, UK. (email: intuition[at]smof.demon.co.uk; http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk~abc/intuition)
* Cosmocon: 11-12 April, Limerick, Eire. SF media. Contact: Anny Wise, 56 Tullyarraga Court, Shannon, Co. Clare, Ireland. (tel. 061-472812; email: anny.wise[at]iol.ie)
Galaxiales'98 French national con: 16-19 April, Nancy, France. Att. 250FF. Contact: Galaxiales'98, BP 3687, 54 097 NANCY Cedex, France. (tel. +33-03 83 40 64 40, Fax +33-03 83 28 80 51)
* Travelling Convention: 30 April – 3 May, Elblag, Poland. Includes visits to Frombork & Malbork. Att. 40 zl. Contact: Piotr Cholewa, U. Szapirowa 1/24, 40-762 Katowice, Poland. (email: pcholewa[at]usctoux1.cto.us.edu.pl)
* Interpresscon: 1st weekend May, Razliv nr. St Petersburg, Russia. Att. from 150 USD (inc. full board, twin share). Contact: Interpresscon, PO Box 358, 196158 St.Petersburg, Russia (email: kir[at]pleshkov.spb.su)
* KONTUR: 14-18 May, Bialystok, Poland. LARP + SF. Att. 30 zl. Contact: Kontur, Podlaskie Towartzystwo Milosnikow Fantastyki, ul. Piastowska 11a, 15-207, Bialystok, Poland.
Intercontact'98: 3-5 July, Oslo, Norway. International convention. GoH Gwyneth Jones, Pat Cadigan, Johannes Berg. Att. 15 UKP (Scandinavians NOK 200) 'til 31 May 1998. Contact: InterContact 98, PO Box 121 Blindern, 0313 Oslo, Norway. (email: elf[at]origo.no)
INFINITY: 10-12 July, Cardiff, UK. SF/Media Con. Att. 40UKP, Child 20 UKP. GOH: Diane Duaine, Peter Morwood, Jack Cohen, Lionel Fanthorpe, Danny Flynn, Andy Swayer, Colin Baker, Ed Bishop, David Banks, MJ Simo Simpson, Animation Company Siriol Productions (SuperTed) and the Cardiff Astronomical Society. Contact: (SSAE) Swn y Nant, 12 Stuart Street, Treherbert, Treorchy, Wales, UK, CF42 5PR. (email InfinitySciFiCon[at]hotmail.com, WWW – http://www.cf.ac.uk/ccin/main/ents/sffc/infinity.html)
Bucconeer: 5-9 August, Baltimore, MD, USA. Worldcon. Contact: PO Box 314, Annapolis Junction, MD, 20701, USA. Att. $130 'til 15/6/1998. (email: bucconeer[at]bucconeer.worldcon.org http://www.bucconeer.worldcon.org)
Dragoncon: 3-6 September, Atlanta, USA. Contact: Dragon*Con, PO Box 47696, Atlanta, GA 30362-0696, USA. (http://www.dragoncon.org)
Fantasycon: 11-13 September, Birmingham, UK. Contact: Fantasycon, 46 Oxford Road, Acocks Green, Birmingham B27 6DT, UK.
* Polcon: Polish National Con: 10-13 September, Bialystok, Poland. Contact: Polcon'98, Podlaskie Towartzystwo Milosnikow Fantastyki, ul. Piastowska 11a, 15-207, Bialystok, Poland.
* Bachanalia: 18-20 September, Zielona Gora, Poland. SF & wine festival. Contact: Piotr Cholewa, U. Szapirowa 1/24, 40-762 Katowice, Poland. (email: pcholewa[at]usctoux1.cto.us.edu.pl)
* Albacon 98: 25-28 September, Glasgow, Scotland. Contact: Albacon 98, Flat 1/2 10 Atlas Road, Springburn, Glasgow G21 4TE, Scotland. (email albacon[at]dial.pipex.com)
* HispaCon 98: 9-11 October, Burjassot, Spain. Contact: HispaCon 98, Casa Municipal de Cultura, c/Mariana Pineda, 93-95, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain. (tel. (6) 364.22.06; Fax: (6) 390.13.59; WEB: http://www.burjassot.com; email: burjassot[at]ctv.es or gandiva[at]apdo.com)
* KONKRET: October (2nd or 3rd weekend), Warsaw, Poland. Star Wars boot camp LARP con, + SF. Contact: Piotr Cholewa, U. Szapirowa 1/24, 40-762 Katowice, Poland. (email: pcholewa[at]usctoux1.cto.us.edu.pl)
* 'BOZ'-CON: 20-22 November, Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands. Att: Dfl 65, pay Eurocheque 'NLSF-Conventions'. Contact: AnneMarie van Ewyck, Obrechtstraat 4, 2517 VD Den Haag, The Netherlands.
Dracon: Nov/Dec, Brno, Czech Republic. Contact: Dracon, PO Box 36, 612 00 Brno, Czech Republic (http://WWW.FI.MUNI.CZ/~ZRUSTEK/DRACON.HTML)
* Nordcon: 4-6 December, Gdansk, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073).
There will be no Eurocon in 1998.
Eurocon 1999: 22nd-24th May, Dortmund, Germany. Att. 19.99 UKP 'til 3/12/1998, then 34 UKP. Contact: Science Fiction Tage e.V., Am Kattenbrauck 28, D-44287 Dortmund, Germany. (Fax: +49-2301-5743, http://www.cbg.de/sf-tage-nrw). UK agent: Mike Cheater, 42 Elm Grove, Southsea, Hants., PO5 1JG, UK. Cheques payable: 'German Conventions'. (Tel +44 (0)1705 361350, e-mail: mike[at]frasers.demon.co.uk)
Aussiecon III: 2-6 September, Melbourne, Australia. Worldcon. Contact: Aussiecon 3, GPO Box 1212K, Melbourne, 3001. Australia. (email: julian[at]aussiecon3.worldcon.org)
Millenium: 27 December-2 January 2000, N Europe. Contact: Malcolm Reid, 186 Casewick Road, W.Norwood, London, SE27 0SZ, UK. (email: vdputte[at]simplex.nl)
Bid for 2000 UK Eastercon, 2Kon, Glasgow, UK: Contact: A^3 (Andrew A Adams), Chair, 2Kon, 15 Kersland Street, Glasgow G12 8BW, UK. (e-mail: 2kon[at]dcs.st-and.ac.uk, http://www-theory.cs.st-and.ac.uk/2Kon)
Eurocon 2000: Gdynia, Poland. Att. 10 UKP. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073).
* Hogmanaycon: 29 Dec 2000 – 1 Jan 2001, Scotland. Contact: Hogmanaycon, c/o 26 Avonbank Road, Rutherglen, Glasgow G73 2PA, Scotland. (email: john[at]gelsalba.demon.co.uk)
Both *Canada (Torcon III – email: info[at]torcon3.on.ca http://www.worldhouse.com/worldcon-2003) and Germany (Berlin – http://ourworld.compuserve.com/EDMarwitz/internat.htm) are currently bidding for the 2003 Worldcon.
Happy New Year. Please keep information on conventions coming in. Many thanks to those who gave me the crop I've had this time, including Dave Langford for deciphering details of BOZ-CON off a collection of heavily-stained Dutch beermats given to him by Matin Hoare.
Apologies to Hogmanaycon for not knowing the difference between 1999 and 2000!
Fans Across the World Many thanks for information and help etc. to: Piotr Cholewa, Dave Langford, Martin Hoare, David Stewart, Juergen Marzi, Colin Tuckley, Roger Robinson, Joan Manel Ortiz, John Ewing, Kirill Pleshkov, Robbie Cantor, Intuition, SFF, and many others. Sorry if I've forgotten your name... Please send any new information, bribes, corrections, etc., to the address over.