B. Wilkinson, Ground Floor Flat, 8 West Avenue Road, Walthamstow, E17 9SE, Great Britain
bjw[at]cix.co.uk fax: 0181-925-7126
Best wishes for what ever you call your winter festival, best wishes also for the New Year.
The SF Tage, held towards the western edge of Germany, are now one of the most important regular conventions in Europe. They have been inviting British and American guests for many years now, with some english programming, and have also been very English-speaking-fan-friendly. Unlike most other convention series, they can hardly be said to have kept to the same time of year. After baking for many a summer in July, they switched to March (brrrrr). Their Eurocon, Trinity, will be held May 22-24 (Whitsun, I believe). The name Trinity is because they are: the national convention, the Baltcon (Baltic area convention), and the Eurocon. No other significance I gather. For a year from now they are holding their UKP price to 19.99 – (geddit?). Then it jumps. (34UKP actually). British agent is Mike Cheater, see over under Eurocon 1999 for his address etc. The Trinity Polish agent is Piotr Cholewa, I don't know of the others yet...
Various SF clubs and groups are now getting a presence on the World Wide Web, recent examples I have heard of include sites from: Altherna Terra SF Club, the first Romanian SF association on the web: http://atsf.fx.ro (Chris Fotache); the British Science Fiction Association (BSFA): http://members.aol.com/tamaranth/index.html; there is also now an archive of backnumbers of this Newsletter at: http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Fatw/ (very incomplete I'm afraid, but many thanks to Dave Langford and the SF-Archive for getting it this far, Dave himself has a page at: http://www.ansible.co.uk/)
A series of showings of a video of fans (and SF writers) making fools of themselves many years ago in the fannish rock opera "Spock in Manacles" raised 30UKP at Novacon, in Great Malvern last month. As far as I know, none of the money was paid out to try to make the video stop! The appeal is needed to purchase some of John Wyndham's papers for the SF Foundation. More details can be obtained from Andy Sawyer, SF Foundation Collection, at the University Library, Liverpool University.
The worst of the crisis at the Maison d'Ailleurs seems to be subsiding, although there's a long way to go yet. The town council is setting up a foundation to support the museum, details are to be discussed at the AGM on the 13 December. To help, contact: AMDA, Case postale 74, 1400 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland. (The Amis – Friends).
* = new or amended
Nordcon: 4-7 December, Gdansk, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073).
Dracon: early December, Brno, Czech Republic. Contact: Dracon, PO Box 36, 612 00 Brno, Czech Republic (http://WWW.FI.MUNI.CZ/~ZRUSTEK/DRACON.HTML)
Babylon 5 academic conference: 13-14 December, York, UK. Att. 75 UKP (inc. accommodation & food) Contact: Farah Mendelsohn, Faculty of Humanities, University College of Ripon and St John, Lord Mayor's Walk, York YO3 7EX, UK. (email: fm7[at]york.ac.uk)
* Decadence: 6-8 February, Eastbourne, UK. Filk. Att. 24UKP. Contact: Decadence, 43 Millbrook Gardens, Cheltenham, GL50 3RQ, UK.(email: decadence[at]z9m9z.demon.co.uk; http://www.z9m9z.demon.co.uk)
* Picocon 15: 28th February, London, UK. Book stalls, films, events, fantasy themed speakers and art. Student union bar downstairs. Contact: ICSF, Imperial College Union, Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2BB, UK. (email: c.abbott[at]doc.ic.ac.uk)
* 10th SF-Days North Rhine-Westphalia: 21-22 March, Dortmund, Germany. GoH: Alan Dean Foster, Mark Brandis. Att. 40DM (20 UKP) 'til 31/12/97, then 45DM 'til 15/3/98, 55DM at con. Contact: Torsten M. Frantz, Ruthstrasse 8/28, D-44149 Dortmund, Germany. (Ulrich Krause: tel. 0049/231/40 06 64, email: UlrichKrause[at]T-online.de; Fax: +49-2301-5743, http://www.cbg.de/sf-tage-nrw). UK agent Mike Cheater, see Eurocon 1999 below.
Intuition: Easter, Manchester, UK. Contact: 1 Waverley Way, Carshalton Beeches, Surrey, SM5 3LQ, UK. (email: intuition[at]elsevier.co.uk)
Galaxiales'98 French national con: 16-19 April, Nancy, France. Att. 250FF. Contact: Galaxiales'98, BP 3687, 54 097 NANCY Cedex, France. (tel. +33-03 83 40 64 40, Fax +33-03 83 28 80 51)
Intercontact'98: 3-5 July, Oslo, Norway. International convention. GoH Gwyneth Jones, Pat Cadigan, Johannes Berg. Att. 15 UKP (Scandinavians NOK 200) 'til 31 May 1998. Contact: InterContact 98, PO Box 121 Blindern, 0313 Oslo, Norway. (email: elf[at]origo.no)
* INFINITY: 10-12 July, Cardiff, UK. SF/Media Con. Att. 40UKP, Child 20 UKP. GOH: Diane Duaine, Peter Morwood, Jack Cohen, Lionel Fanthorpe, Danny Flynn, Andy Swayer, Colin Baker, Ed Bishop, David Banks, MJ Simo Simpson, Animation Company Siriol Productions (SuperTed) and the Cardiff Astronomical Society. Contact: (SSAE) Swn y Nant, 12 Stuart Street, Treherbert, Treorchy, Wales, UK, CF42 5PR. (email InfinitySciFiCon[at]hotmail.com, WWW – http://www.cf.ac.uk/ccin/main/ents/sffc/infinity.html)
* Bucconeer: 5-9 August, Baltimore, MD, USA. Worldcon. Contact: PO Box 314, Annapolis Junction, MD, 20701, USA. Att. $130 'til 15/6/1998. (email: bucconeer[at]bucconeer.worldcon.org http://www.bucconeer.worldcon.org)
Polcon: September, Bialystok, Poland. Contact: Polcon'98, Podlaskie Towartzystwo Milosnikow Fantastyki, ul. Piastowska 11a, 15-207, Bialystok, Poland.
Dragoncon: 3-6 September, Atlanta, USA. Contact: Dragon*Con, PO Box 47696, Atlanta, GA 30362-0696, USA. (http://www.dragoncon.org)
Fantasycon: 11-13 September, Birmingham, UK. Contact: Fantasycon, 46 Oxford Road, Acocks Green, Birmingham B27 6DT, UK.
HispaCon 98: 9-11 October, Burjassot, Spain. Contact: HispaCon, c/o BEM, ciencia ficcion y fantasia, P.O.Box 6092, 47080, Valladolid, Spain. (e-mail: bemjmo[at]filnet.es)
Nordcon: Nov/Dec, Gdansk, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073).
Dracon: Nov/Dec, Brno, Czech Republic. Contact: Dracon, PO Box 36, 612 00 Brno, Czech Republic (http://WWW.FI.MUNI.CZ/~ZRUSTEK/DRACON.HTML)
There will be no Eurocon in 1998.
Aussiecon III: 2-6 September, Melbourne, Australia. Worldcon. Contact: Aussiecon 3, GPO Box 1212K, Melbourne, 3001. Australia. (email: julian[at]aussiecon3.worldcon.org)
Millenium: 27 December-2 January 2000, N Europe. Contact: Malcolm Reid, 186 Casewick Road, W.Norwood, London, SE27 0SZ, UK. (email: vdputte[at]simplex.nl)
* Eurocon 1999: 22nd-24th May, Dortmund, Germany. Att. 19.99 UKP 'til 3/12/1998, then 34 UKP. Contact: Science Fiction Tage e.V., Am Kattenbrauck 28, D-44287 Dortmund, Germany. (Fax: +49-2301-5743, http://www.cbg.de/sf-tage-nrw). UK agent: Mike Cheater, 42 Elm Grove, Southsea, Hants., PO5 1JG, UK. Cheques payable: 'German Conventions'. (Tel +44 (0)1705 361350, e-mail: mike[at]frasers.demon.co.uk)
Bid for 2000 UK Eastercon, 2Kon, Glasgow, UK: Contact: A^3 (Andrew A Adams), Chair, 2Kon, 15 Kersland Street, Glasgow G12 8BW, UK. (e-mail: 2kon[at]dcs.st-and.ac.uk, http://www-theory.cs.st-and.ac.uk/2Kon)
Eurocon 2000: Gdynia, Poland. Att. 10 UKP. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073).
Both *Canada (Torcon III – email: info[at]torcon3.on.ca
http://www.worldhouse.com/worldcon-2003) and Germany (Berlin – http://ourworld.compuserve.com/EDMarwitz/internat.htm) are currently after the 2003 Worldcon.
Fans Across the World Many thanks for information and help etc. to: David Stewart, Piotr Cholewa, Beluga Post, Juergen Marzi, Rafe Culpin, Chris O'Shea, Al Bert, Jon Cowie, Roger Robinson, Dave Lally, J-L Trudel, Infinity, Pat McMurray, Mick Evans, Bernie Evans, Mike Cheater, Charles Brown, Dave Langford, BSFA, Christo, and many others. Please send any new information, bribes, corrections, etc., to the address over.